Saturday, February 13, 2010

Papertrey Challenge Day 13

Today's Papertrey Challenge, Day 13, is to make a card with a flower embellishment and then make a card of embellishments to give to a friend. These cards were in the works for Valentine's Day, but never got finished in time. At least they will for one friend! I learned how to make these poofy button flowers (love, love, love them!) watching Papertrey's designer Dawn McVey's blog. She made poofy flowers using papers from a vintage book. I didn't have access to a vintage book and I wanted colored cardstock, so instead, I followed her directions and made one change. I punched five scallops, punched one hole in the middle of each, prepared my button with thread (* today I used a floss threader to help thread my flimsy thread, and it worked wonders) and dimensional. I had a cheap brad handy. Then I laid the scallops out on an old towel (color will transfer from cardstock), spritzed with water a couple of times, and working quickly, I scrunched each layer - starting with the top and going down to the bottom. It looks like one scrunched up paper ball at this point. I then opened up each layer, put the button in the middle and then rescrunched. I learned I have to work quickly and not fuss too much. Otherwise, the paper fibers start to fray. Supplies: Red cardstock (Papertrey), Black buttons (Artco), ribbon (unknown), all following supplies are from Stampin' Up!: Whisper White cardstock, Bella Toile background stamp, friends from Tiny Tags stamp set, Going Gray ink, tag punch, and scallop punch

3 comments:

  1. FAB flowers! It just POPS off of your card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your poofy flowers!! Thanks for sharing your technique! What a great idea to soften the cardstock with water :) Oh, and your card looks so elegant, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your card. The pop of the embellies is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I very much appreciate your comments!